Saturday, October 23, 2010

...

It's 3 a.m. and I cannot sleep. I find myself mostly fine all day, excited, hopeful at the opportunities which surely await me, one day, soon, which will once again alleviate my stresses and find me going to sleep peacefully.

But when my head hits the pillow, and darkness comes over my computer as it too attempts to sleep, I just start sobbing. Quietly, if Lief is home, loudly if he is not, for sobbing silently has less a purging effect than just letting it all loose. And then I fear the couple upstairs will hear me, and I stifle myself once again.

I have genuinely not ever felt more alone. I could rattle off fifteen reasons for this, but it would hardly elucidate the situation any more than simply saying that I feel really, truly alone. I have, in the past, felt that the Universe has ceased to be present, and even then, felt less alone than now, for there was hope. Hope which is scarily absent. Instead of my usual get-out-of-this-mindset-mindset, which is that things always get better, I've realised a bone-deep truth, and that is that things always get worse again, too. Thoughts of offing myself are less and less what they've always been, which is, impossible, but comforting. Instead, it feels like something to sincerely work out a plan for. A contingency. Because, truly, I haven't got it in me to weather another swipe like this, like it seems to be, on all levels. I've no lover, no prospect of a lover, and most definitely, no prospect of anyone who wishes to keep me as their confidante and lover for the rest of our lives, have children with me, grow old. My friendships are in varying degrees of disarray, and with Andy being the only person I've allowed to see me vulnerable for some time, I'm ill equipped to even try and discuss anything with anyone. I feel that in person, with people I care for, I come off distant and cold. I feel I've worn out my welcome, and that it is best for everyone if I just don't try and reach out.

And there is the matter of my lack of job, the again ruinous state of my finances, which so precariously relied on the job I was quite easily terminated from, without warning. A job I loved, a job I really, really needed. In the dark, when I try to sleep, it's this fact that causes the sobbing more than any other. I wrote letters to my former manager and one of the owners. Neither has been met with any reply. I find this so rude, and hurtful.

I just can't do this anymore. I'm just hoping having written this, I can maybe fall asleep. I've got to get up in five hours to go to
my parents' to work off a small sum advanced to me to pay bills, where I'll face guilt trips and badgering instead of support and love.

4 comments:

SweetBird said...

Baby girl...I don't think it helps to say this but I'll say it anyway. You just described my last two years. Not sleeping, crying all the time, feeling my friends float away while I sit rocking myself on the little chunk of ice. I couldn't take one more thing. I felt like a magnet for bad luck. Anything that could go wrong would. I was/am so very far from what I want and need.
I am terribly alone. The having of a lover doesn't band aid it when all your friends turn distant and nonchalant.
What I'm trying to say is that I get it. I don't know how to tell you to solve it. My answer is always fresh starts, new cities. But, you my dear, are smarter than that. However, I must sing the praises of the satisfaction that comes from a well executed escape plan. Move to NOLA in two months, with whatever money you happen to have. Fly by the seat of of your hot little pant. Start again.
But that's just what I would do. I would also fly you to see me, wrap you in a whiskey embrace and let you cry to me, not an empty house.
Beautiful, amazing girl..let me know if I can help.
-Lindsay

Igneous, Wanton & Veritas said...

I know that in many ways it's got to be my responsibility too that my friends are distant. The hard part comes in sitting down with myself and figuring out how I've aided this, but also, who I still want close to me at all. It feels like an unfortunate opportunity to further pare down my inner circle, a thing I've been doing since about this time last year. I wish circumstances hadn't lent themselves so easily to further this goal, but alas.

I think, for now, the crying is over. Being at my parents' house did help, the cold wind ripping across the prairie, the roar of it making the grove across the highway look like the perfect spot for a Norwegian black metal band to set up a video shoot. There were salamanders crawling through the grass, slow with cold. Cats and kittens. Dogs and puppies. Law & Order SVU on the tv. Many laborious tasks to occupy my mind. By the last night I was there, I was able to sleep soundly.

And now, back in Minneapolis, things feel better, though there is still no prospect of a job, nor really one of a lover (the hot young man I've been angling for the past couple weeks as a plaything is proving curious; he doesn't seem to know how to use a phone to make actual phone calls [he says he'd tried texting me; I have text messaging blocked these days] despite showing interest I know I've not mistaken, so we only run into one another by chance). Perhaps it's just that friends are showing the kind of affection I've needed, and in return, I'm less a mess.

And my darling dear, I couldn't leave this place. Problems are the same problems anywhere you go. I've by and large decided this is my city and while I intend to take four to six months breaks from her, Minneapolis is my home. I hope in the coming years, money will no longer be an issue, and just at the perfect moment, the house across the street will magickally go up for sale. I've found the perfect neighborhood, and I'd like to start a family here.

If anyone will ever want to start a family with me. Grr. Argh.

Anonymous said...

I'll start a family with you. They'd be ridiculously smart and terribly fashionable.

You know I'd never really encourage you to leave MPLS.(I have a MPLS tattoo now!) I do think it's your perfect city and I admire the balls you have to stay there and make it work no matter what.

Things will work out. For both of us. I know they will. Hopefully somewhere along in the hard parts or once we get to the good parts, we can sit and have drinks and talk about it all.

Igneous, Wanton & Veritas said...

If only two ladies could make the babies
We'd have babies who knew what's what
Let's work on the science
And legal compliance
And one day we'll flip a coin
to see who gets the seed in the gut.

<3