Wednesday, February 27, 2013

On Patience, a followup


The friend I mentioned the other day in the blog titled On Patience made my night last night, just before I went to sleep. I'd written him earlier in the evening and said I was thinking about him (when a friend or loved one is clearly troubled, I tend to think of them all the time, like a sort of meditative white noise running in the background, and oft foreground, of my thoughts). He responded later and thanked me. I avoided mentioning therapy, and we talked a bit about how he's doing, and he stated that we must get together in the next few days, as he really needs me right now.

I'm certainly not pleased that he's in enough pain to need my friendship and counsel for something so serious, but I am fucking elated that I was able to turn this touchy situation around and find him still confiding in me.

Lesson: Change a behavior known to cause less than perfect results, possibly get ideal results the next opportunity to exhibit said behavior by avoiding said behavior!

I'mma turn these stodgy, OCD-reliant neural pathways of mine into sleek, happy pussycats, by gum.

No comments: