Monday, February 18, 2013

The upcoming relocation situation

I'm leaving my beloved apartment May 1st when my lease is up. Publicly, and this is a solid portion of it, I've said it's because I won't have a car and biking from where I usually end up all summer (in and around Uptown) can be both tedious and dangerous late at night/when I've been drinking. There's a long stretch of road that's all near to Interstate exits and on ramps, and I never feel quite comfortable biking that 3/4 of a mile or so to my home in Near North.

It's also not near anything that I do frequently enjoy. The bars, restaurants and venues. I mean, it's "near" everything, nothing is more than fifteen minutes away, but little of it is within walking distance. If anything, it is exceptionally centrally located to all things, but not exactly close to anything. A conundrum of locale.

But, the bulk of why I want to leave is that this home has seen too much heartache. I have been looking around the last week and I am haunted by several scenes: crying myself to sleep in my bed after Andy, sitting around despondent after Thor (Thor, who I haven't spoken of, may not be necessary to speak of; it was a three month relationship. He lives in New Orleans. It didn't work, and didn't really work from the get-go. Honestly, though I fell hard and fast for him, I don't remember much that I really liked about him. I liked his style of dress. His calm demeanor. His swagger when he walked. That he was a carpenter, and a sculptor. I liked that he touched my elbow at intersections, a chivalrous gesture, to bade me not run like a ninny into traffic. But, I was not particularly attracted to him, and it just wasn't going to work out. So it didn't. We're friends now, everything is good.), and now, all of this with Chris.

I just want a fresh start. And simple comforts, like my favorite bar less than ten blocks away.

4 comments:

goatygoat said...

Do what's best for you, and never mind the justifications. You could just as easily choose to stay in the apartment because of the reminders of personal growth and things learned. The heart that has been broken and healed and broken again will be moving with you.

Igneous, Wanton & Veritas said...

As much as I love this apartment, there's just been a lot of negative shit here. My last roommate was a horrorshow, in addition to the heartbreak. I spent most of a year tense and stressed in my own home when she was here.

I've lived here two and a half years, two years and nine months by the time I move out. It's time to change the scenery.

Goatygoat said...

I feel like you and I would have been reasonably sane roommates had lives worked out differently.

Igneous, Wanton & Veritas said...

I agree. Neither of us has passive aggressive tendencies, and I feel reasonably confident that you know how to properly clean a dish and realize when it's time to take out the garbage.